Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Balls

This has been modified from a recipe found on Martha Stewart's site. Her site did not have dependable nutritional information, which I needed to determine the PointsPlus Value (Weight Watchers) of the food. I also halved it; her recipe makes 72 balls, mine made about 42.

This recipe makes 4 servings; each serving is 9 points.

Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) light unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup Frank's Hot Sauce
  • 1 lb ground chicken (I used 98% fat free fillet of breast.)
  • 1 large egg
  • 5/6 cups dried bread crumbs
  • 1 Tsp coarse salt
Directions

1.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Evenly coat a large rimmed baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.
2.  Place butter and hot sauce in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, whisking, until butter is melted and hot sauce is well incorporated.


Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl; let cool to room temp, about 10 minutes.

3. Add chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, and salt to bowl with butter mixture. I will pause here for a moment to show you how I measured 5/6 cup for the breadcrumbs. I used an Easy-Read Measuring Cup, but you can use a regular one and shoot for half-way between 3/4 and a full cup.
 Using your hands (or in my case, a fork), mix until well combined; all the sauce will have been absorbed.
 Roll chicken into firm, 1-in round balls. I dug up an old measuring spoon, 1/2 Tbsp, and used that.
 Place on prepared baking sheet; line meatballs  into rows so they are touching on all sides.

Transfer to over and bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes. (I had mine in for 25; I think the rack was too far from the heat source.)

4. Take out of oven and let stand for 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet. Place on a serving platter and drizzle with hot sauce.
I ate mine plain; I might have enjoyed it more with the sauce, but I was tired of math and didn't have the patience to calculate the additional points if I did that. Next time I will use the mixture to make chicken patties. You could also make a sub with the balls. Let me know how you enjoy it, and share any tweeks you make!

No comments: