This is a Weight Watchers recipe, valued at 7 points per serving (8 servings total). It was tasty! Make sure you have a 4-qt casserole dish handy, although my 3.1-qt Deep Covered Baker did the job. You can use regular pasta. I did not use pre-shredded mozzarella, I shredded it myself. Reasons for this can be found here: http://carascookin.blogspot.com/2009/02/block-cheese-vspre-shredded-cheese_26.html
- 12 oz uncooked whole wheat ziti (more fiber, which means more filling)
- 2 Tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 lb uncooked lean ground beef
- 1 Tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1/2 Tsp black pepper
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add garlic and saute 2 minutes. Add beef and cook until browned, breaking up meat with a spoon (or a Mix-n-Chop!) as it cooks, about 3-5 minutes; drain off any fat and set pan back over medium heat.
- Add oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper; stir to coat beef. Cook until herbs become fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spoon a small amount of mixture into bottom of casserole dish, just enough to cover the surface; top with half of cooked ziti. Next layer with half of remaining mixture and half of cheese. Layer with remaining ziti and then top with remaining sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes.