Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

You know what really grinds my gears?

Holding out your left hand to demand A, while at the same time holding out your right hand to demand B.

Read this article about the three Iowan judges who have been thrown out by the people over same-sex marriage. This sentence in the fifth paragraph really pisses me off:

The outcome marks the end of a showdown in the state that was funded by several million dollars from mostly out-of-state groups opposed to the same-sex marriage ruling.

But why, Davi? What does this piss you off? I'm all for a smaller federal government. A central government with too much power inevitably becomes corrupt over time. All these Republicans, Tea Partiers, they want to protect the states' rights, correct? They want issues like the legalization of abortion and same-sex marriage to be determined at the state level, as opposed to the federal level, amirite? Alright then. I'm down with that.

So, understand yet why that statement pisses me off? If you are a resident of Delaware, who the hell are you to nudge a Maryland resident in the shoulder and say, "Hey, you're doing things wrong in your state, so I'm gonna throw some cash that way to change things." Um, Mr Delaware Resident, if you don't like how they run things in Maryland, I suggest you keep your happy ass in The First State. (I'm not hating on Delaware, btw; that little speck on the map holds a special place in my heart.)

Are we seeing yet the hypocrisy? Yes, let the states decide these matter, but if someone in another state disagrees with the outcome, it's okay to come trudging in my front yard to persuade me to do things your way? I don't think so, pal. Get the fuck off my lawn, thx.

I believe that when it comes to local elections, elections for senators and representatives and local justices and governors and what have you, that it is unethical to accept campaign funds from out of state. I believe it is unethical for these out-of-state groups to try to influence these local elections.

Here's the problem I've been noticing for a year now. All these folks hooping and hollering for smaller government? They're never happy with what they have. People hold out one hand begging for smaller government, while holding out their other hand yelling at Capitol Hill to fix all their problems. As I said to MacGyver, "These people don't want smaller government! They say the do; they think they do. But they'll always turn to the federal government to fix all their problems."

I struggle daily to remain nonpartisan. I voted for Mark Kirk, a Republican, and he's now going to be my Senator. I voted for Jerry Costello, a Democrat, and he's going to continue as my House Representative. But I look at the increasingly red map of our country, and I am nervous as hell. I'm nervous about all these fringe politicians who are going to be even less likely to reach across the aisle for a compromise. (Mitch McConnell even said himself that the Republicans should NOT compromise!) I foresee a time after the New Year that will be similar to what occurred after the midterms elections in 1994.

History always repeats itself; it doesn't mean we have to repeat our mistakes. I wish the best of luck to our potential new House Speaker, John Boehner; I hope Senator Harry Reid wakes up and hears the voices of his constituents; and I pray to the Goddess that our President takes a step, assesses the situation, and realizes that if he wants to get anything done, if he wants to get our country back on track, he needs to stop siding so much with the Democrats and do all that he can to unite our partisan Representatives and Senators.

No comments: