Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Some recommendations for the masses...er...the few.

Let's start with food. If you are ever in Baltimore, and you've got a fat wallet and some dressy clothes, have your dinner at Tio Pepe. It's a classy Spanish restaurant with tasty sangria by the jug and delicious food. We started with mussels in a brown sauce I could not name, but was savory nonetheless; we also passed around a plate of blue point oysters drenched in a crab meat and champagne sauce that was to die for. My mom's plate was chicken and lobster with rice. The paella on the menu serves two, so I split it with Sister's godmother; we each got half of a whole lobster, and the shrimp were fat and juicy. Sister got the cochinillo, or roast suckling pig. It was pretty much the whole damn piglet (my apologies to Winne-the-Pooh fans), but she was disappointed to find that it came without the head and feet. She claims to enjoy dead animals more when they're literally served whole. (Dear Adam, I did not visit with you because I did not have the time. Forgive me! Perhaps next time. I'll let you know in advance, and we'll wreak havoc and destruction on Annapolis.)

My next recommendation is for a new HBO show called Game of Thrones. Based on the series A Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin and starring a cast of mostly U.K. natives, Game of Thrones (named for the first book) is set in a world not too dissimilar from Medieval Europe. That's all I'll reveal about the plot; you must see it for yourself. It's led me to start reading the series; I'm currently reading Game of Thrones on my Samsung Captivate.

Now, concerning the Xbox-PS3 rivalry...if you're still arguing for PS3 over XBox, you're a dumb shit. Need I remind you about the hacking fiasco? Sony failing to notify its customers until days after the news story broke? And PSN being down for weeks on end? The only thing the PS3 has going for it, in my opinion, is its monopoly on the Metal Gear Solid and God of War franchises, and the fact that it plays Blu-Rays. But you can get a Blu-Ray player for $100 at Wal-Mart. It's not gonna be a fancy brand, but it'll do the job. If you stream Netflix via your game console, Xbox makes for better viewing as it streams in high-def. PS3 does not. In fact, it's pretty shitty quality, even with our 16 MB internet (at least, Charter claims it's 16 MB...). If it weren't for the Blu-Ray capability and MGS and GoW, I'd regret buying the damn thing for Fiance.

Finally, a movie recommendation. This afternoon I went to Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides with the Redhead (who, sadly, will soon be abandoning me for the east coast; traitorous wench). I loved it. Again, I won't give anything away, except for one of my favorite scenes in the movie, when Angelica (portrayed by the sultry Penelope Cruz) says to our beloved Jack, "There is a prophecy...perhaps you do not believe in the supernatural?" and dear old Jack responds, "No, I've seen a thing or two." Tee hee. There's a scene at the end of the credits, and I'm still not certain if it was worth sitting through them, though it did give me a giggle. Otherwise, great movie. Keith Richards makes a brief appearance, and even that god-damned monkey pops us, but I won't give anything else away.

Hey, did you guys know I'm Super-man? 'Cause I am.

 

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Hmmm...I may have an opportunity to be in Baltimore in the near future. I will keep this in mind.

I dropped HBO. Don't make me sad abot it.

X-whax? What is this PS3 of which you speak? Yeah...don't game. Will you still love me?

Pirates, huh? Gee I wonder the attraction...

Great picture!