Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

Biggest nerdgasm since the first trailer for the Deathly Hallows.

A couple of weeks ago, Fiance, who hates going to the movie theatre, went with his friend Jay to see Wrath of the Titans on a whim. I was furious; I bought him Clash of the Titans on Blu-ray for Christmas a year-and-a-half ago, which he has not watched (I saw it on the flight to Korea), and I wanted to go see Wrath. And then he drops a bomb; he saw the trailer for The Hobbit in 3D!! So the next time I was at my laptop, I pulled it up on iMDB. When Thorin and Company began to sing, I got chills.

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
The pines were roaring on the height

The winds were moaning in the night
The fire was red, it flaming spread

The trees like torches blazed with light...

I recently started re-reading The Lord of the Rings. I've only ever read it the whole way through once, though I've pored over the appendices more times than I can count. (Which is why I can't understand these so-called Tolkien purists bitching about Galadriel and Saruman appearing in The Hobbit. There is an explanation for that in the appendices.) Seeing the trailer just sort of sent me over the threshold of nerdy madness. So I also finally started reading Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth to satisfy my Tolkien urges, and re-watched LotR (for the first time on Blu-ray, extended editions!). I also want to read some more of the Silmarillion, and I wanted to re-read The Hobbit (only read once). But most of my books are in the shed, thanks to Fiance (god. damn. it.), and being an arachnophobe, I can't bring myself to go digging in there for this or that book. (The first four Harry Potter books are in there, while the last three are on my bookcase; it's maddening, I tell you.) So I did what any bibliophobe would do; bought an e-book version of a book I already physically own. That's right, I bought the Hobbit for my Nook app on Tuesday evening, and finished it up Thursday morning. I'm tempted to do the same with the Silmarillion, but I'm doing some spring cleaning in the house, and I'm hoping to convince Fiance to bring some of my books back into the house.

I can't believe I have to wait until December!!

On a final note, the actor portraying Kili is HOT.


No comments: